Globally, 2020 was the hottest year on record. One million species are at risk of extinction. We use more resources than the planet can generate each year. Urgent change is needed, but lasting change is impossible without education. Therefore, it must be taken as an indisputable fact that both enhancing students’ English language competences and fostering their critical environmental literacy should be the goal of every single EFL teacher.
Environmental education, which is a developing field of study, is not only about critically examining global issues but also developing an awareness of the role of the individual in this globally-interdependent world. In this course we will, therefore, deal with the following topics:
- Concepts of raising environmental awareness in education – brief historical overview
- Environmental Education and English Language Teaching and Learning – fundamental principles
- Developing Learners’ Sustainability Literacy in the EFL Classroom
- Environmental education in German CLIL classrooms
- Conceptual foundations of the Curriculum Framework
- Competency-oriented teaching unit
- Environmental issues in young adult literature & songs
- School Gardens as a Space for Environmental and English Learning
Theoretical knowledge will, of course, constantly be linked to practical issues of classroom teaching.